1. If you haven’t already done so, it is time for volunteers to re-enroll in the EMG program for 2022. This can be done through Better Impact:
- Log into Better Impact at myimpactpage.com
- Go to the “MY PROFILE” tab at the top right corner of the screen
- Click the Qualifications subtab
- Read and agree to the four statements provided (contact information update, voluntary disclosure, EMG Standards of Conduct, EMG Volunteer Agreement)
- Set the expiry date for the end of the calendar year (12/31/2022)
If you need a paper form or have questions about re-enrollment, please contact your local Coordinator or Extension Agent.
2. Unit Infographics – If you would like an infographic showing your local unit’s 2021 statistics, please email Devon firstname.lastname@example.org Infographic template available here. Note: We have not pre-made infographics for each unit this year and will instead be working with you to develop them on request.
3. Home Gardener Day, February 21, 9am-4pm: The Norfolk Botanical Garden has taken over the Home Gardener Day program that was put on by the Virginia Horticultural Foundation. Click here to view flyer
4. CE Opportunity: “Forest Farming In Focus” is a series of 5 winter webinars that are designed to be a deeper dive into forest farming species, topics and practices. https://www.appalachianforestfarmers.org/forestfocus
5. Patrick County EMGs Master Your Garden symposium, March 12, 2022, at the Patrick & Henry Community College in Stuart, Virginia, 212 Wood Brothers Drive. Inquiries may be sent to email@example.com
6. Grow the Good Life (Zoom) March 5 and March 12 – Bedford Master Gardeners explore gardening over two weekends: March 5 “The impact of climate change on our environment has been a topic of much interest globally but what effect does it have locally?” and March 12 “How you can have a beautiful garden even when you no longer have the energy or time to invest & the usefulness of weeds” Click here for the flyer
7. Extension Resources website down until further notice: The new publication website https://resources.ext.vt.edu/ is being permanently retired and a transition to the old system is underway. To find publications in the meantime, search https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/ or https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/
Old January Announcements:
8. Seed Exchange at Blandy Farm, January 29, 2022 State Arboretum at Blandy, Clarke County: The 11th Annual Master Gardener Seed Exchange will be held 10 am–2 pm on Saturday January 29, 2022. The event will be held in the Library and Dining Room of the Blandy Experimental Farm at the Virginia State Arboretum in Clarke County. Gardeners are invited to swap seeds, plants, roots, cuttings, and stories with fellow gardening enthusiasts. Admission and parking are free. Check our website for full information. nsvmga.org
9. Central Rappahannock Area Master Gardeners 6th Annual Seed Swap! January 29, 2022; 9am – 1pm Rowser Building, 1739 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Stafford VA
a. Join the Central Rappahannock Area Master Gardeners for our 6th Annual Seed Swap. Package your saved seeds for swapping + bring any garden related items you want to swap (such as garden books and magazines, cookbooks, pots, tools, plants, cuttings, etc). The event will be held at the Rowser Building, 1739 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Stafford VA, from 9am to 1pm. Don’t have seeds to swap? Come anyway! Volunteers will be on hand to answer questions and offer tips, speakers are scheduled throughout the morning, and free seeds and tea/coffee will be available. For more information: https://www.mgacra.org/
10. Updated indicia statement:
Virginia Cooperative Extension is a partnership of Virginia Tech, Virginia State University, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and local governments. Its programs and employment are open to all, regardless of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, military status, or any other basis protected by law.
As always, remember to use the indicia statement on all material you distribute to the public. For promotional material for events, you also need the ADA statement, available here.
a. If you attended online Master Gardener College in 2020, be aware that you may receive a “guest account deletion” email from Virginia Tech (if you have not already). The guest account you used to log in to the virtual college platform will expire one year from the last time you were active. You do not need to do anything further and there is no reason to worry about the email if you get it! This will not affect your Better Impact or any other accounts.
11. Save the date: Virginia Tech’s Annual Giving Day will be February 23-24, 2022 noon to noon
12. New version of the Plant Disease Diagnostic Form available (#450-097): Please download this form and begin using it at your earliest convenience. Here is the link to the form on the VCE Educational Resources page: https://resources.ext.vt.edu/contentdetail?contentid=2261
13. Plant Disease Clinic will begin charging for sample diagnosis – The Plant Disease Clinic will begin charging for sample diagnosis beginning Oct. 1, 2021. The attached memo provides an overview of the process. This memo provides more information. A few important notes on the memo:
a. In the table on p. 2 there are links to some downloadable relevant resources, such as a public relations flyer, to help VCE offices and their clients transition to this fee. We hope you will post the public relations flyer in your offices and/or share it with your clientele, so they will have some fore-knowledge of the fee. There are also links for downloadable electronic and hardcopy handouts to provide to clients to help them navigate payment via Destiny One.
1. Send us your announcements! Have you converted educational programs to an online format? You can still submit those announcements for the biweekly email! Submit an item for the biweekly update here.
2. Follow the State Office on social media: Facebook | Instagram | YouTube