- EMG Webinar Series 2023: The EMG monthly webinar series has returned! We look forward to bringing you a wide range of new and interesting topics. All webinars will be recorded and posted to our website (https://mastergardener.ext.vt.edu/webinar-archive/). Please register for each webinar:
- VMGA Education Event – November 11, 2023 The Nelson Center, 8445 Thomas Nelson Hwy. Lovingston, VA
- Join us November 11th for three lectures designed to increase your plant disease diagnostic skills. From 9:00 am to 12:30 pm, you will hear about the process of problem solving regardless of the plant or pest, Growing Degree Days and Plant Phenological indicators, and apply your knowledge to problem solving issues with the popular boxwood landscape plant. There will be an optional lunch at Saunders Brothers Nursery Farm Market, 12:45 – 1:30 pm (with the option of shopping). There is an optional tour if their growing fields and greenhouses, 1:30-3:00 pm for the first 35 folks registrants. Details and information to register is at https://vmga.net/wordpress/vmga-education-events/ Lunch selections must be made by November 2, 2023. Registration is just $5.00 for VMGA members, $20.00 for non-members – another reason to join VMGA! (Registration webpage gives you the option to click to become a member.)
- 30th annual Gardening in the Northern Neck Seminar – April 13, 2024
- The Northern Neck Master Gardeners and Virginia Cooperative Extension Invite you to the 30thannual Gardening in the Northern Neck Seminar Saturday, April 13, 2024. The Theme this year is “Creating Outdoor Spaces: Defining Your Lifestyle”. The location is the Lancaster Elementary School, 191 School St., Kilmarnock, VA. The three featured speakers are: Mary Palmer Dargen, Barbara W. Ellis, and Lorraine Ballato. Registration opens February 1, 2024 at www.nnmg.org
Other old announcements:
- Save the date! Master Gardener College (EMGC) 2024 will be held virtually June 5-9. This will be a 5-day conference with one day of regional, in-person tours, 4 days virtual with one keynote and one concurrent each day. Sessions will be recorded and available to registrations after the conference as well.
- Join a planning committee for EMGC! Help us plan by joining our speakers, in-person tours, or marketing committee. Requires agent approval: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSer3jNH7OfGU2LTfnLvOSF9gjpC8UGHms8Wp34CZlUUlvXLUQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
- Submit a topic idea for EMGC: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSefttFX0IGrKODU3JD6Gtt_XCqznAL4Q2EfBNmHHoOEYFwn_Q/viewform?usp=sf_link
- Extension Master Gardener handbook (2023 edition) now available!
- Revisions and updates to the EMG Training Handbook have been completed. The 2023 edition of the handbook can be downloaded by visiting: http://hdl.handle.net/10919/112743. The digital textbook version has been published and can be found here: https://pressbooks.lib.vt.edu/emgtraining/. The print version will follow shortly, more details will be provided in April.
- Many thanks to all who assisted in this undertaking. We appreciate all our editors, authors, and contributors!
- Link to order print handbook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1957213426 When you get it, turn to page 20 and add “+ 6O2” to the end of the photosynthesis equation. We’re addressing this in the next edition, and it is being fixed online now.