1. “My Trees Count” app launched by VDOF – In order to keep track of trees planted in communities across the state, the Department of Forestry has launched a tree planting tracking application called “My Trees Count”. This will provide VDOF with valuable data about water quality in the state, as well as help track tree plantings as communities work towards their WIP Goals. Finally, it will allow us to recognize tree planting efforts. When submitted through the Trees Count Survey, we may share planting stories on the Community Tree Map or social media with #MyTreeCounts. The application can be found here: https://arcg.is/WryDG
2. 5th Annual Seed Swap, Central Rappahannock, January 23, 2021 – Save the Date and your Seeds for the Central Rappahannock Area Master Gardeners 5th Annual Seed Swap on January 23, 2021 from 10AM to 1PM in King George. The event is FREE and open to all. More info here.
3. We're working on a comprehensive webinar page – The State Office is working on compiling local unit YouTube videos and webinars on our YouTube page. If you have YouTube videos, please email Devon firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have videos somewhere other than YouTube but would like to get them on YouTube, please also email Devon! Videos will be organized into playlists here: https://www.youtube.com/c/VirginiaCooperativeExtensionMasterGardener/playlists (Check the “Hanover Home Gardening” playlist as an example)
4. Soil management and soil health webinar series – Soil Management and Soil Health webinar series from VSU The Zoom webinar series will take place on November 2, 5, 9, 16 and 23, from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. More info here.
5. Garden Basics Workshop: “Water-Wise Gardening” – The Piedmont Master Gardeners will offer “Water-Wise Gardening,” a free Garden Basics workshop, from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, November 21, via Zoom. Participants will learn how to manage water in the landscape efficiently; how to control erosion and runoff; and how to help plants survive in wet, dry and hot conditions. To receive an invitation to the virtual session, register by November 16 at https://piedmontmastergardeners.org/events/ | More info here
7. Call for presentations: Have you created a presentation you're proud of & would like to share with us? We are creating a presentation repository and need your presentations!
· Repository will be available for EMGs and Agents/Coordinators to draw from for speaking requests, training, etc. Master gardeners and agents may submit. Presentations will undergo editing and formatting before being posted.
· Email presentations to Kathleen email@example.com
8. IMGC 2021 Tee Shirt Design Contest Results! Our winners are:
· Linda Williams – Carroll/Grayson – “Dogwood”
· Pat Machowsky – Greenspring – “Buttonbush”
· Ruby Gardner – Gloucester – “Cardinal and Bee Balm”
9. Virginia Tech Plant Clinic's Plant Problem Image Gallery has been resurrected! This useful image gallery contains images of common Virginia plant diseases, provided by the VT Plant Disease clinic. Available at: https://apps.cals.vt.edu/ppig/
10. Extension Leadership has released guidelines for Extension Master Gardener Plant Sales in light of the current steps toward reopening. You can find that information on the VCE COVID-19 page (https://ext.vt.edu/covid-19updates.html) under “Administrative Documents and Updates.” It’s at the bottom of that list under “EMG Plant Sale Guidance.
12. EMG Coordinator webinar: CE opportunity! Food Safety and Master Gardener Volunteer Programs, before and after COVID-19 webinar recording: https://youtu.be/aK6g8NvpAok
13. VMGA speaker’s bureau list now available, contact Erica Jones 540 544 7359
· More info: http://vmga.net/vmgaspeakersbureau.php
Old November Announcements:
14. Accessible Communications Considerations: “This workshop will present participants with tangible ideas to make communication, particularly in marketing, more accessible, how to avoid common accessibility mistakes, and more. The session will cover topics such as using accessibility features on social media, describing different types of images, language to use when describing disability, and more.”
· Opportunity offered by VTEngage: Tuesday, November 10, 12 – 1:15 (Sign up at https://gobblerconnect.vt.edu/event/6384364)
1. Send us your announcements! Have you converted educational programs to an online format? You can still submit those announcements for the biweekly email! Submit an item for the biweekly update here.
2. Updated Facebook event guidance – When scheduling Facebook events for your unit symposiums, seminars, talks, etc, please add the state office page as a co-host! More info here: https://mastergardener.ext.vt.edu/current-resources/communications-resources/
5. View our most recent webinar
a. View a recording of our most recent state office webinar – Jamie King on urban forestry