1. October 1, 2020, 1:00 pm – Leadership development training: Volunteer Engagement in a Virtual World – Still time to register!
· Volunteer Engagement in a Virtual World “As trainings and meetings are moved to a virtual platform, how can volunteers build and sustain meaningful relationships within their unit and the greater community? The State EMG Office will facilitate a discussion focused around how units throughout the state are staying engaged in a virtual world. There will be small group breakout rooms for more in depth discussions and brainstorming between participants.”
· Register here: https://virginiatech.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0lcO2rqD0iHtCrvGoyCaiLPpl1YptA2eV3 (Registration link will remain active until the beginning of the session, however please register in advance so we have an accurate headcount)
· Learn more about all of our leadership trainings here: https://mastergardener.ext.vt.edu/current-resources/leadership/
2. October state office webinar:
· October 10 | Urban Agriculture – Join Dr. Leonard Githinji from Virginia State University as he talks about urban agriculture, why it's important, and where it intersects with volunteerism. Register: https://virginiatech.zoom.us/j/331193942
3. VMGA speaker’s bureau list now available, contact Erica Jones 540 544 7359
· More info: http://vmga.net/vmgaspeakersbureau.php
4. Accepting applications for PMG Coordinator: The Charlottesville-Albemarle VCE office is officially seeking applicants for a new Master Gardener Coordinator.
· The details are all provided at this site: http://careers.pageuppeople.com/968/cw/en-us/job/514256/master-gardener-coordinator-albemarle-county
· Please share this job listing with anyone you think might be interested! The application will close on October 15th.
5. IMGC 2021 Tee Shirt Design Contest voting open! Vote here: https://vce.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4UbixoUhRNG6Rxj
6. Accessible Communications Considerations: “This workshop will present participants with tangible ideas to make communication, particularly in marketing, more accessible, how to avoid common accessibility mistakes, and more. The session will cover topics such as using accessibility features on social media, describing different types of images, language to use when describing disability, and more.”
· Opportunity offered by VTEngage: Tuesday, November 10, 12 – 1:15 (Sign up at https://gobblerconnect.vt.edu/event/6384364)
Old October Announcements
7. Registration Now Open for the 2020 Virtual Chesapeake Watershed Forum! https://www.allianceforthebay.org/our-work/key-program-focuses/networking-education/chesapeake-watershed-forum/
8. Extension Leadership has released guidelines for Extension Master Gardener Plant Sales in light of the current steps toward reopening. You can find that information on the VCE COVID-19 page (https://ext.vt.edu/covid-19updates.html) under “Administrative Documents and Updates.” It’s at the bottom of that list under “EMG Plant Sale Guidance.
10. EMG Coordinator webinar: CE opportunity! Food Safety and Master Gardener Volunteer Programs, before and after COVID-19 webinar recording: https://youtu.be/aK6g8NvpAok
1. Send us your announcements! Have you converted educational programs to an online format? You can still submit those announcements for the biweekly email! Submit an item for the biweekly update here.
2. Updated Facebook event guidance – When scheduling Facebook events for your unit symposiums, seminars, talks, etc, please add the state office page as a co-host! More info here: https://mastergardener.ext.vt.edu/current-resources/communications-resources/
5. View our most recent webinar
a. View a recording of our most recent state office webinar – Jamie King on urban forestry
A handout for gardeners about reporting occurrences of BDM and 2 other important diseases: late blight and cucurbit downy