Extension One Search
Extension One Search allows you to search the resources provided by your Cooperative Extension Service using a Google Custom Search Engine that includes many of the Cooperative Extension websites provided by your Land-Grant institutions.
If you have a specific question and cannot find appropriate resources on the Virginia Cooperative Extension website, Extension One Search allows you to search many other states’ Extension websites at once.
Extension Search Resources for EMG Questions
Extension One Search: Easily search all University Extension websites for a particular topic. https://extension.org/search/
Virginia Cooperative Extension Publications page: View and search all Virginia Cooperative Extension publications. http://pubs.ext.vt.edu
Pest Management Guide: Updated every year and appropriate for making recommendations on controlling home insect pests. http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/456/456-018/456-018.html
Other University Extension sites:
- UMD: https://extension.umd.edu/
- NC State: https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/
- WVU: https://extension.wvu.edu/
- Clemson: https://www.clemson.edu/extension/
- UKY: https://extension.ca.uky.edu/
- Penn State: https://extension.psu.edu/
EMG Training Handbook: Sections on horticulture topics are useful to consult in answering questions. Content in the EMG training manual has undergone review and is appropriate to reference if it will be helpful in answering someone’s question. Note material in the handbook is copyrighted. Do not provide copies of the handbook to anyone and please do not copy and distribute pages.
Online Learning Opportunities
- Soil Health Information Page Virginia Cooperative Extension: A wealth of information regarding soil health. Includes information on soil as a living ecosystem, soil management to protect habitat, minimizing soil disturbance, soil covers, diversifying plant and animal communities and more.
- Soil Information Program Virginia Cooperative Extension: Webinar series in basic soils plus links to additional resources and publications.
- IPM Training Modules for Master Gardeners University of Illinois Extension Master Gardener Program: Modules created to inform Master Gardeners about newly emerging pest and disease problems.
- Webinar Portal for Conservation of Natural Resources USDA NRCS: Live and on-demand webinars on a variety of subjects, including urban forestry, conservation, organic agriculture, soil health, nutrient and pesticide application, wildlife habitat and more. Certificates of Attendance are available through the registration process.
Integrated pest management training series
- 1 – Introduction to Integrated Pest Management
- 2 – Pesticides: A primer on toxicity and exposure risk
- 3 – Pesticides in practice
- 4 – The plant disease triangle
- 5 – IPM Tactics
Spotted Lanternfly Resources
Northeastern IPM webinars – Spotted lanternfly information focused on growers, but may also be helpful to Master Gardeners interested in learning more about the SLF
Wildlife/Natural Resources links from the Master Naturalist program
- DCR Virginia Natural Heritage Program’s Native Plant Finder, https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/natural-heritage/native-plants-finder
- Plant Virginia Natives (regional native plant guides): https://www.plantvirginianatives.org
- Flora of Virginia app, https://floraofvirginia.org
- Digital Atlas of the Virginia Flora, http://vaplantatlas.org
- DCR Virginia Natural Heritage Program’s Invasive Plant list, https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/natural-heritage/invsppdflist
- Habitat Gardening for Wildlife by Carol Heiser with DGIF (also part of VCE MG curriculum): https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/habitat-gardening.pdf
- Backyard Wildlife Habitats (Extension pub), https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/dam/pubs_ext_vt_edu/426/426-070/426-070_pdf.pdf
- USDA PLANTS database: https://plants.sc.egov.usda.gov