1. Master Gardener College Updates: September 19-22, 2019, Norfolk, Virginia
a. Registration is open and more than 200 Extension Master Gardeners have already registered! View our registration information page. Advance registration ends on July 14th so register today! Also, registration costs increase on July 15th and we open registration up to the public for one-day public registration which will be Saturday, September 21st. For more information on booking your accommodations (scroll down to “Accommodation Costs”).
b. Room block information available! Book your room at The Main now! (some nights have limited availability, so please check availability with The Main). Please note that we are sold out of rooms at the conference rate for Saturday night only. You can still get the conference rate for all other nights but will pay a higher rate for Saturday night only. Please call the hotel directly to book your room. Booking online will result in inaccurate rates being assessed for your reservation. The direct number for The Main is 757-763-6200.
2. Master Gardener College Scholarship for 2019– Deadline for applications August 9th.
a. (VMGA) Diane Relf Master Gardener College Scholarship Application Form
b. Scholarship Application Process
c. Scholarship Nomination Guidelines
d. Scholarship Nomination Rules and Guidelines
3. Submit a Digital Brag Board for EMG College!
a. Visit https://www.mastergardener.ext.vt.edu/brag-board-submission/ for guidelines and online submission form. Any unit may submit a digital brag board for display!
4. Newport News MG Training Class– Newport, VA – Apply BY August 1st.
a. The Newport News Master Gardener Association is currently accepting applications for its' 2019 Training Class! Become part of our educational programs and events. No experience necessary! Choose day OR evening classes, beginning in the Fall.
b. Apply BY August 1st. nnmastergardeners.org or call our Help Desk 757-591-4838 with questions.
5. Children’s Activities at the Grin & Grow Learning Garden at Riverview Farm Park– Newport News, VA- 1st and 3rd Mondays, 10 AM, through August 19th
a. Newport News Master Gardener Association will host various children’s activities in the Grin & Grow Learning Garden at Riverview Farm Park, through the summer. Activities will be on the 1st and 3rd Mondays at 10 am. The Garden is always open when the Park is open.
6. Biweekly Update Submission form – Please use this form for submitting future biweekly update items. Due to staffing limitations through the summer of 2019, submissions sent through email could be missed.
7. Wildlife Gardening with the Humane Gardener – Bristow, VA – July 13, 2019
8. Cullowhee Native Plant Conference – Western Carolina University – July 17-20, 2019
9. Online Plant ID Classes– from Longwood Gardens and NC State- July 8th- October 31st
a. Reduced fee for Extension Professionals so you can brush up on your plant ID skills and preview the classes to determine if they will be useful as advanced training opportunities for your volunteers.
i. Discount Code for Extension Master Gardener Volunteers & Master Naturalists – MASTER ($98 fee) = $97 discount
ii. Discount Code for Extension Professionals – AGENT ($50 fee) = $145 discount
b. Course instructor, Preston Montague, is a landscape designer, educator and artist. He has a bachelor's degree in horticulture and a master’s degree in landscape architecture, both from NC State. He has experience teaching at NC State, NC A & T, and many botanical gardens in the region.
10. The American Horticultural Society’s National Children & Youth Garden Symposium- University of Wisconsin, Madison in Madison, Wisconsin – July 10th-13th
11. 2019 Strengthening your Facilitation Skills Trainings – May 9 – July 18
12. Piedmont Master Gardeners Through the Garden Gate – Charlottesville-Albemarle County – May 11-September 1
13. Save the Date: Protecting Pollinators in Urban Landscapes – Cincinnati, Ohio – October 7-9, 2019
14. Follow the State Office on social media:
15. Resources for fertilization of lawns and for those involved with Healthy Virginia Lawns programming
16. Do you have questions coming in to your Extension Master Gardener program and need to find some answers? Extension Search Resources for EMG Questions
17. Registration now open for online Plant Identification Classes by Longwood Gardens and NC State – Click Here
18. An update from National Initiative for Consumer Horticulture: 2018 accomplishments letter
19. Gardeners’ Survey – AmpleHarvest.org
20. Visit the VCE Lawn and Garden Calendar!
21. Every Kid in a Park Program
22. Information from Chad Proudfoot, 4H: “The program is very simple: every 4th grade student (or home school equivalent) in the United States is entitled to get one Every Kid in a Park pass which lasts through August 31
23. Spotted Lanternfly, an invasive pest insect– found in Winchester, VA- January 2018
a. For information regarding the quarantine please see attached flyer
24. eXtension Good and Bad bugs webinar series – Feb 1 – Dec 6, 2019