- Video resources – Do you have tons of Zoom recordings of trainings or webinars that you’d like to make available to your EMGS? Check out our new video resources page for help.
Most Recent Biweekly Updates
1. August state office webinars:
September 17 | 10 am – Tree risk assessment – Joel Koci of VSU provides an introduction to tree risk assessment. – Register in advance: https://virginiatech.zoom.us/j/91920717871
· October 15 | 10 am – Urban Agriculture – Join Dr. Leonard Githinji from Virginia State University as he talks about urban agriculture, why it's important, and where it intersects with volunteerism. Pre-registration: https://virginiatech.zoom.us/meeting/register/vpcsduCrpz8oATVOvOhaatpGl7kTqVIpQA
2. Turf and Landscape plan writing school (part of nutrient management certification, learn more):
· From DCR “ If you have an interest in becoming a certified as a turf & landscape nutrient management planner, you can sign up for this course now, and take the Soil Science, Soil Fertility, and Turf Production School when it is offered again as a webinar or in person sometime in the near future. With the uncertainty of being able to hold face-to-face events in the near future, we may not be able to offer another Plan Writing School before the next exam which will be held Friday, February 5, 2021.”
3. Social media training webinars provided by VT College of Ag and Life Sciences (CALS) and VSU:
· Sept. 23, 2020, 3 p.m.
ZOOM LINK: General Best Practices for Social Media
Deanna Sumners & Erica Shambley
Old September Announcements
4. Waynesboro tree workshop webinar series – Every Wednesday in the month of September there will be an hour-long webinar on various topics including tree ring analysis and urban canopy cover. Provided jointly by VDOF and VCE
· Info and registration links here: https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Register-Today—2020-Waynesboro-Tree-Webinar-Series-.html?soid=1129998786860&aid=GI79-Lqov14
Old October Announcements
5. Registration Now Open for the 2020 Virtual Chesapeake Watershed Forum! https://www.allianceforthebay.org/our-work/key-program-focuses/networking-education/chesapeake-watershed-forum/
6. Facebook Live “Get Gardening” Series – Thursdays through the summer
· Thursday September 17: Kathleen Reed, Succulent Propagation and Care
Facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/226756471734154/
7. Extension Leadership has released guidelines for Extension Master Gardener Plant Sales in light of the current steps toward reopening. You can find that information on the VCE COVID-19 page (https://ext.vt.edu/covid-19updates.html) under “Administrative Documents and Updates.” It’s at the bottom of that list under “EMG Plant Sale Guidance.
9. EMG Coordinator webinar: CE opportunity! Food Safety and Master Gardener Volunteer Programs, before and after COVID-19 webinar recording: https://youtu.be/aK6g8NvpAok
1. Send us your announcements! Have you converted educational programs to an online format? You can still submit those announcements for the biweekly email! Submit an item for the biweekly update here.
2. Updated Facebook event guidance – When scheduling Facebook events for your unit symposiums, seminars, talks, etc, please add the state office page as a co-host! More info here: https://mastergardener.ext.vt.edu/current-resources/communications-resources/
5. View our most recent webinar
a. View a recording of our most recent state office webinar – Jamie King on urban forestry